The Bay Area Ridge Trail at Hiddenbrooke Open Space in Vallejo rises and falls – steeply at times – across pastures riddled with wide cracks, gopher holes and the occasional cow.
We are hiking the 405-mile Bay Area Ridge Trail. Sign up to follow our progress here.
TRAIL MAP (date hiked)
- Hiddenbrooke Open Space (Nov. 6, 2022)
The hike was not what we expected.
- We expected to hike in the spring through green waves of grass, but car troubles intruded. We got a hike through the rattling dry grass of fall instead.
- We expected to park across from I-80 on McGary Road, as designated in the 2019 edition of the Ridge Trail guide. We got street parking at the opposite end of the trail, high in the subdivision.
- We expected the trail’s grade to match the steady pace of the subdivision parkway as it rises from I-80. We got a series of hills with several intense, albeit brief, grades.
- We expected a trail overlooking a subdivision. We got a trail that wound behind enough hills to create the illusion, from time to time, of hiking across a remote California prairie.
- We expected a lengthy standoff when we encountered a calf standing in the trail with bored adults to each side. We got clear passage after a short pause thanks to a diligent cow that hustled the youngster out of confrontation’s way.
NOTE: There was no pub at the end of the trail on this Sunday morning hike. We were hustling to check out of our hotel in American Canyon before noon. But three days on the trail, including our morning at Hiddenbrooke, bumped our Ridge Trail tally over the 300-mile mark and left us with less than 100 miles to go. And we also finished up the remaining Ridge Trail segments in Napa and Solano counties.
Miles we hiked0
(with returns and connectors)
Our Progress Hiking the Bay Area Ridge Trail – 311 out of 405 miles77%
3 thoughts on “Rolling Pastures at Hiddenbrooke on the Ridge Trail”
Merry Christmas Dan and Dawn. Thanks for the lovely Christmas card with your smiling faces on it!! Looks like you’ve hiked about 3/4 th of the BART trails. Congratulations! We enjoy reading about your adventures. Hope you have a good New Year.
Love, Joel and Gloria
Hiking the entire Ridge Trail is one of my 2023 goals and your site is super helpful. I wish the Ridge Trail provided more opportunities for camping, but since it doesn’t staying in local hotels for the more remote sections is a really good idea.
I’m so glad it’s helpful! If you have any specific questions related to trails feel free to send a note and we’ll do our best to answer. We’re kind of stuck right now with the crummy weather but hoping to wrap up the effort before summer. Happy hiking!